Monday, October 5, 2009

Oh yes, they say wardens!

They also say Q instead of line, and washings instead of laundry, flat instead of apartment, and the list goes on. I don't mind it much, not at all really, I think it's fascinating to see how people use there words and how they do things in general really.

One thing I didn't expect is how much I would have to walk, I walk everywhere. Yesterday I had to walk to the school, twice, don't get me wrong it's a beautiful walk, but there goes six miles, plus is was probably more than that because the second time we went the long way. Not to mention all the places I went to during the day, like the store, getting lost, etc. I think it's great though because if you think about, if I was in the States for the next nine months I don't want to think about how much I would pollute the air from driving. I'm pretty lazy, I know I am, but here I'm pretty much forced to do what I got to do, which includes walking everywhere. Oh and not drinking my beloved "Dew", I miss you my love.

I just took a break to go to the bathroom and of course the seat was up because in my house (they call them "houses" within the dorm) it's me and one other girl, the rest are all guys. At the school the guy to girl ratio is about 2:1. Story of my life. The girl in my house seems pretty cool, she said she loves talking to Americans because she feels like she's in a movie, that made me laugh. There's a guy from Poland on my floor and said he could understand me better because I have an American accent, like in the movies. Apparently, as an American, I stick out like a sore thumb, well, as far as accents go.

It is pretty amazing here. Tonight people from my dorm are doing a pub crawl, I was going to go, but I think it would be nice to stay in for the night. I mean it's not like people don't go out like every night anyways, which as far as I can tell they pretty much do, but I can't keep up. Plus, I don't really feel like going out of my comfort zone tonight, it always ends well, but there's always a bit when you're a little uncomfortable trying to make conversation and meeting new people, which I've been doing since I've been here. It's wonderful because that's how I've met so many people, but I'm needing some "me" time right about now. I miss you all, and wish you could be here to watch some good American television with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha "i like talking to americans cause i feel like i am in a movie" too funny

guy to girl ratio 2:1 - ummm saweeet

tons of guys with hot british accents

glad you having a nice time - i guess since you walk so much you are getting the exercise in. r u going to get a second hand bike or something?

Anonymous said...

I second Poe's laugh. "...cause I feel like I'm in a movie." That was a good one.

Sounds like things are going well.

I miss you already!

Love Am

Angie said...

Hey Kirst! Glad things are going well for you over there! Except for the lack of Dew...are you sure they don't have it anywhere over there? That would suck.

Good luck with the rest of your first week!

Angie

Anonymous said...

We may have to ship Pity and Kelsey over there as well to break their Dew habits! When you talk about walking, walking everywhere, that's how I felt when I started college at IU. No bus pass, no car! I kind of enjoyed it.

Thanks for the update, enjoy this week before classes start.

Keel

Chatter said...

Great blog post kirst. Pity makes a good point; 2:1 ratio and accents. You'll get no pity kirst :). Have a great time! Sounds like you are and I know you'll keep up with the guys (skid). Love ya!

Trike said...

The US and England are two countries separated by a common language.

Apartment = flat
Yard = garden
Line = queue
Bathroom = lavatory ("lavva-try")
John = loo
Closet = wardrobe (as in The Lion, the Witch and...)
Suspenders = braces
Garters = suspenders
Flashlight = torch
Elevator = lift
Cookies = biscuits
Potato chips = crisps
Fries = chips
Can = tin
Couch = chesterfield
Lawyer = solicitor
Nerd = swot
Subway = tube
Sidewalk = pavement
Vacation = holiday
Hood (of a car) = bonnet
Trunk (of a car) = boot
Gas = petrol
Eraser = rubber
Drunk = pissed
Tease = take the piss out (naughty version)
Pissed off = pissed off (we had to have ONE in common!)
Crazy = mad
Pants = trousers
Underwear = pants
Butt = bum
Bum = tramp
Tramp = strumpet
Ass = arse

...do NOT comment on a "fanny pack." Trust me on this.