Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Girl on a Mission

Where to begin??? I had a three hour lecture this morning and FROZE during lecture because the windows were open and the room was so cold. After class I went to the dining hall and got the most delicious lunch I've had in a while. It consisted of bread, hot soup, and some noodles with chicken, it was heavenly and definitely beats the 37 pence canned spaghetti I eat on a regular basis. I mean I am living in London in a beautiful part of the city, so, I don't have it too rough, but there's nothing like a good meal. Then I made my way back home. When I did arrive back to my humble abode I had a wonderful chat with my folks about my plans for the holiday season, and after some intense research I am ecstatic about traveling for Christmas. It will be a new and mind-widening experience; it shall be a one of my great adventures. While my head was in the clouds, I forgot I needed to be heading to class and I left late. My walk to class takes about a half an hour and I was down to twenty minutes, dammit. Before I moved to London I heard horror stories about students being late for class, PROFs DO NOT LIKE IT and the other day in lecture my other professor called out many of the late students. I did not want to be that student. Despite my many mishaps with being on time, I ingrained it in my mind that I WOULD NOT BE LATE FOR CLASSES. So, there I am sprinting through Hyde Park, with my book bag, an extra sweater and gloves on (because the incident of freezing in my first lecture), and pants that will not stay on my butt. I'm sure it was an interesting sight. By the time I get to class, which I was NOT late for, I'm drenched in sweat. I pull my phone from my pocket, it's wet...from sweat, my book bag zipper was wide open I'm sure I lost a few things, my back was wet and sticky, and my jeans had that really uncomfortable feel to them. Wonderful. I walk home after class and admire the lovely sights that have now become routine for me, but I never cease to be amazed. Managed to get to the grocery store before swim practice and I am quite excited about having some decent food, no, I don't mean canned spaghetti, I passed on that this time. It kind of grosses my out when I think about it now, probably because my mother spoiled me with the most wonderful home cooked meals. I could go for one of those, mmmmm. Oh, and the then swim practice, it started off as a humbling experience and then was just utterly embarrassing. I don't know think it was so much that I got lapped, twice, but more the fact that the coach asked me to let the other people pass me. That stung, just a little bit. There I was, unable to keep up with the slowest swimmer in the pool. On the bright side, I figured if I could endure that kind of ego torture, what's to stop me from attempting the impossible? Because believe me, I don't think it could be worse than tonight. Water polo was better though, I think I'm better at rough sports. I love how attractive I am to the opposite sex. ("I'm pretty sure you're more butch than me." -yeah, you know who you are) I do love the sports I play, it just turns out that they are rough sports, perhaps I enjoy unleashing my anger and wrath on random strangers. Hey, I'm not the only one, during a scrimmage tonight some dude cow kicked me right in the thigh, it hurt like a mother, maybe if I'm lucky I'll have a nice bruise tomorrow. At least they would match my arms, in a tank top I look like a victim of spousal abuse.

Things that made me laugh out loud today:

-When I thought about how the coach asked me to let the others pass, seeing as how I was holding up the flow of things

-When I was walking down a desolate street, lip singing, and busting a move, or two, only to find an old man walking right in front of me...embarrassing

-Random things that my sisters have said in the past (I think there are people that see me laughing with my earphones on and think, "crazy")

-Thinking about when Elliot from "Scrubs" is talking to herself and she says, "Omg, maybe I'm crazy. I'm not crazy. Am I? No, shh shh shh." Then J.D. walks up and sees all of this and obviously thinks she's crazy. Maybe you had to see it, either way, it's hilarious and continues to be funny in my head.


Facts for the Day:

Currently listening to: "From a Distance" Bette Midler (yeah, I know)

My current mission is drastically improve my swim times, oh, it's going to happen, if I feel like swimming tomorrow that is.

4 comments:

Chatter said...

Laughing out loud at this post (I think you know why). That's great that you are in swim club and water polo. You are embracing life in London. I love it! Thanks for sharing these stories with us. It really paints a visual for me and makes me smile. Miss & love ya!
C

James said...

Sounds like you're doing it right in London.

Take some more pictures!

Anonymous said...

sound like all is good - great to hear :)

Anonymous said...

Some dude kicked you underwater? I'd kick him real high up on the thigh and see if he does it again. I tried swimming today, pool was closed (secretly happy).

Keel